Hawks Upset CCCMBCA #11 Bear Cubs in Overtime

Sophomore guard Khari Hutt led the final push to the comeback OT win over #11 Santa Rosa. Hutt finished with a team-high 20 points.
Sophomore guard Khari Hutt led the final push to the comeback OT win over #11 Santa Rosa. Hutt finished with a team-high 20 points.

SACRAMENTO (1-8) – The Hawks returned home as they took on CCCMBCA #11 Santa Rosa Junior College in Big 8 Conference play. The Hawks forced overtime with a 23.3 second half run and defeated the Bear Cubs, in overtime, 75-72.

In their last game, the Hawks lost 75-65 to Sacramento City College on Saturday in Sacramento while the Bear Cubs won 87-79 over Modesto Junior College in Modesto on Saturday.

In the first half, both teams would trade baskets and scoring in half court execution. After the first five minutes, Santa Rosa continued to hit some perimeter shots and make free throws. Cosumnes River was playing well and created open shots through the offense. However, shots for the Hawks seemed to go halfway down and rim out. The Hawks continued competing hard, playing strong defense, and stuck with their offensive game plan. The first half score remained a two-to-three-possession contest. The Bear Cubs led 35-28 at halftime.

In the second half of play, Santa Rosa's Skylar Chavez made a string of sensational, tough offensive plays to extend the Bear Cubs lead. Chavez finished with a game-high 36 points. The Hawks truly played solid, tight defense on Chavez, but Chavez continued to make challenging, contested shots. The Hawks found themselves down by nineteen, at 52-33 with 11:01 left, after four consecutive turnovers created offensive advantages for the Bear Cubs. The contest continued back and forth for the next three minutes and 7:45 left, the Bear Cubs led 59-40. From that point, the Hawks went on a 23-4 regulation-ending run. During the course of the run, the Hawks scored on six of their next seven possessions which forced two more Bear Cubs' timeouts. The Bear Cubs had one more chance to win the game in regulation but Keilen Valdry stole the inbounds pass to force overtime.

In the extra frame, the Hawks continued to claw and fight. To begin the extra frame, Chavez got fouled and made two free throws while Paul Ohiri scored in the post on back-to-back possessions. The Bear Cubs would hit a three and went 3-for-4 from the free throw line to go up 71-67 with 1:39 remaining. With 56.7 seconds, Khari Hutt drained a three to trim the Bear Cubs' lead to 71-70. On the next possession, Chavez missed a jumper and Hutt countered with a crossover jumper to give the Hawks their first lead since early in the first half. On the ensuing possession, the Bear Cubs would not score and Samuel Cota secured the rebound and was fouled by the Bear Cubs to stop the clock with 2.2 seconds in OT. Cota would make both free-throws to give the Hawks a 74-71 and forced a timeout by the Bear Cubs. The Bear Cubs took the ball out in the full court and isolated Chavez, but the Hawks fouled to force free-throws. Chavez made the first free throw, but, on his second attempt, he was called for a lane violation. With the Hawks leading 74-72 and with 1.9 seconds remaining, the Bear Cubs was fouled Hutt on the inbounds pass to stop the clock. Hutt missed the first shot of a double bonus situation, but he made the second shot for a 75-72 lead. The Bear Cubs again inbounded the ball to Chavez but his game winner fell short as the Hawks won 75-72.

The win broke the Hawks' two game losing streak.

Hutt had twenty points, three rebounds, one assist and one block, Marcus Robinson had sixteen points, six rebounds and one steal, Brandon Gray had fourteen points, one rebound, one assist and one steal and Ohiri had a double-double with twelve points and twelve rebounds. Ohiri also had one assist and two steals.

The next game for the Hawks will be Friday as they take on Modesto Junior College in Modesto.